As the photo above shows, DJ Byrd is in a nice spot in the Boilermaker locker room, between Robbie and Keaton.Can Byrd be one of the missing pieces to put this team over the hump and make a serious run at the Final Four in Indianapolis next year? Sure, it's too early to be talking about this -- we still have football season to limp through. But damn if I'm not excited thinking about the possibilities.
I saw D.J. play three times in high school as a freshman, sophomore, and as a senior. The game I saw this year was his second back after the knee injury. If he can play that well while limited to one healthy knee we are getting a great player. I also love that he is a local kid who grew up loving Purdue and always wanted to play for us. That's even better in my book because he understands the culture.
ReplyDeleteHere is what I wrote about him after that game this year:
http://www.hammerandrails.com/2009/3/8/785670/incoming-recruit-profile-d
That's a sweet locker room.
ReplyDeleteThe line about limping through football season made me laugh. I don't think people realize just how bad its going to be.
I just moved to Crawfordsville in the middle of DJ Byrd hysteria. And while I think he's a great player, I worry about his injuries. Knee and hand during the season. Hamstring during the All-Star game. I hope he can get healthy and stay that way. Just stay clear of Hummel and Kramer and their injury coodies.
ReplyDeleteI think he'll fit in really well with the infirmary that is Purdue basketball...at least we know he'll play through pain.
ReplyDelete