Monday, October 08, 2007

Up Yours, Comcast


Boilerdowd, Tim & J Money Protest Comcast's fraudulent advertising practices

Alright, I've been brewing for a week, no more Mr. Nice Guy. Comcast, I'm sick and tired of the BS. I keep hearing this damned radio spot from Comcast bragging about how I'll see all of the major Big Ten games on TV if I'm a Comcast subscriber. Well, they're wrong.

I think about anybody in the Big Ten would consider a contest between 4-2 Michigan and 5-1 Purdue a pretty important (or major, depending on an individual's definition) game. Obviously, we're all wrong...TV Sports God, AKA Comcast tells me that I will see everything that matters sans BTN.

I, by the way, find both Comcast and the BTN at fault for the hardlines they're both towing. But, Comcast runs fraudulent, aggressive advertisements on the radio that have made my choice easy on whom I view as more wrong. Comcast is an arrogant monster conglomerate that doesn't care about its customers and instead of trying to provide the best-possible service, they merely run their company with the largest-possible margins. I understand this is a public relations battle between two media giants...it seems to me, that if perception is reality, Comcast has lost the battle.

If this rant does nothing more than make me feel better, it's accomplished something. While Comcast has millions of subscribers, they will have one less in Fishers, Indiana in the near future.

Please note, IU fan that you will also be getting screwed by Comcast this weekend.

11 comments:

susieandrew said...

another reason comcast pisses me off (along the same vein):

i've had several exchanges with CS re: programming. they've consistently told me that they offer the best programming, blah blah blah and to check out puttingfansfirst.con (dot con. get it?). when i asked about their regional networks compared to BTN, they said that they strive to offer the best most relevant regional sports coverage. i responded that i am not thrilled about seeing Big12, Pac10, and WAC games on Versus and my Comcast sport chicago. Also mentioned that their proposed regional network in the pacnw is the same as what the BTN is doing, and that i know about the rumblings about a proposed Comcast-SEC network. my concern was forwarded on to the appropriate management. haven't heard jack from them since.

granted, this is a very strange year for Michigan, but comcast will not have a leg to stand on assuming the SEC network is launched next year, presumably using the BTN model.

RFS said...

I can't imagine the IU-Purdue game on the BTN, but it could happen. Thank God I'll be at the game.

What's really bad about these "putting fans first" ads and other stuff is that it's not really about fans. It's about Delaney and some exec at Comcast playing a glorified game of chicken in order to inflate both of their egos. I'm sure there are bonuses for the exec, and Delaney can add this to his negotiation resume.

Oh, and the fans are the ones who are ultimately losing....ugh.

boilerdowd said...

Delaney's a punk.

formerlyanonymous said...

1) i get more bs advertising from BTN as a michigan student/alum than i see commercials from comcast. just as awful

2) again, as a michigan fan, we already have half our schedule on BTN. Mike Hart could be losing potential heisman publicity from it. If there has been one positive of this season for us it is Mike Hart is ridiculous.

3) There is a chance the michigan-ohio state game will be on BTN. Each team MUST have one conference game aired on BTN. They have a white out @ Penn State, home versus illinois and wisconsin, and at michigan. Would ABC drop it?

boilerdowd said...

The Michigan fan is in an unusual situation in that the entire season's importance was discounted by the first two games. If UM would have done like many (myself included) thought they would, the NU or maybe the Purdue game would have been BTN...Now, ESPN/ABC is more interested in OSU (and Illinois) than UM.

I'm not really for the BTN, but I am squarely against Comcast.

J Money said...

Comcast may indeed suck but I have a hard time believing they're worse than Dolan-owned Cablevision here in the Northeast. Just simply awful. Oh, and no CHANCE of the BTN.

Anonymous said...

Two issues here.

First, the Big Ten Network is demanding that Comcast pay a fee per subscriber in order to carry the channel. Comcast wants to, in turn, charge subscribers for the channel (put it inside the sports and entertainment package at no additional charge to those current subscribers). This is a very similar arrangement with the NFL Network. Conclusion: Where does the Big Ten get off requiring a fee per subscriber but also demanding that Comcast place it in the general channel pool? This seems unreasonable to me.

Second, Comcast could be losing people to the dish by the minute. It helps to call them every 6-12 months and say that you are switching to the dish because of NFL Sunday Ticket AND you can add BTN to that list! They will throw everything and the kitchen sink at you to stay...

I say take the deal and watch your games at a local pub.

Purdue Matt said...

I hate that radio ad too.

COMCAST SUCKS!

I switched to AT&T U-Verse. It's great. I get the BTN and also ESPNU.

Purdue Matt said...

The Ohio State Michigan game will not be on the BTN. They will both already have had their game on BTN.

boilerdowd said...

bp- good suggestion...but I want to watch the games with my 19-month old son around...so the bar's out. Further, about any place is out. It's hard to keep a near-two year old any place for more than about thirty minutes.

Plus, my main beef is the ad campaign that Comcast is running. It's completely untrue.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店