Monday, January 28, 2008

Retrospective: Terry Hutchens is an idiot.

Back when Purdue's current Freshman class was just a highly-touted group of recruits, one at least one member of the local IU shill-dom wasn't buying into this group of student athletes as being anything special.


Many of you know who Terry Hutchens is. He's an IU lackey who suffers of diarrhea of the pen much like Bob Kravitz, also of the IU Star. He reminds me a lot of a guy who I read regularly on the interwebnet with his opinionated, bias-filled rants...only problem, he gets paid to do what he does...and unlike that handsome genius from BS, Hutchens actually takes himself seriously.

Hey Terry, do you still think Hummel is merely a role player who "will struggle to ever average double figures"? I hope so, and I hope your beloved Coach Sanctions agrees with you. (FYI- Hummel's already averaging double figures despite being extremely ill for three of the first 20 games of his young career).

I can tell you this much, Bo Ryan and Michael Flowers (who know a bit about college basketball) respect his game and think Hummel and the rest of this Purdue class is absolutely worth all the "fuss".

Purdue role player still needs more players around him to shine.

I'm sure it's an acquired taste that you know well Mr. Hutchens, but have you gotten used to having Florsheim leather stuck between your teeth?

12 comments:

John M said...

I doubt many IU fans will disagree with your headline. He's as dumb as a bag of hammers. I have a hard time thinking of him as an IU shill, given his significant body of work as Mike Davis's publicity agent, to the active detriminent of IU's interests. But I certainly don't disagree that he has nothing worthwhile to say. He also can't write without the assistance of an editor. His constant abuse of the second person on the blog, beginning half of his sentences with "you," is just painful to read.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWGGb4Ir558

Purdue Fans are awesome!!!!

boilerdowd said...

John-
Thanks for checking in...I'm sure he's a poor representation of IU fans since most I know think this Purdue class is talented. But, he tends to be so slanted that it's hilarious. I probably could make fun of the Star's Purdue beat writer, but they have to use the J&C's, so I won't do it. The Star is a joke so is Hutchens.

Stop by again.
Thanks.

"CMB" nice video...that's like every Friday when I was there, playah! You know this, man!

OK, not really. I feel dirty for watching that exchange.

Anonymous said...

That happens at every school. Who cares. Too bad she wasn't looking for Dorien Bryant.

T-Mill said...

Well, at least the Star has a beat writer for Indiana, unlike Purdue.

boilerdowd said...

Travis, get your application in! You'd own that crappy paper within a few weeks.

John M said...

T-mill, If I could read what the guys from the Bloomington Herald-Times are writing about IU rather than Hutch's daily inanity, I would be very happy. Of course, the only way that would happen would be if Gannett owned the H-T, which would then cause the H-T's IU coverage to suck, so it's a catch-22.

T-Mill said...

LOL! Beleive me I have tried. Apparently nine years as a stringer isn't enough to get noticed. A well, I like my little corner for now.

I still get some of my work published on the Star online through Noblesville.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is I seem to recall Hutchens bashing Purdue's class based on some website rankings. He then used those same rankings to tell everyone how wonderful IU's incoming class was. Goodness he's painful to read.

Scotty Leisure said...

Michael Pointer was pretty good when he was the beat reporter for the IU Star...he updated more often than Washburn and had a pretty neutral view of things.

boilerdowd said...

I was never a fan of Pointer...but at least he was dedicated to Purdue.

Purdue Matt said...

H A C K!