Friday, March 28, 2008

What a great view!

The NCAA tournament is experimenting with a new-look configuration during the regionals in Detroit and Houston, putting the court on the 50-yard line of football stadiums instead of tucked toward one end.

The hardwood will be 27 inches off the ground and some players acknowledged some trepidation.

"It really opens up the whole stadium and makes it so much better for the fans," said Laing Kennedy, Kent State athletic director and a member of the NCAA Division I Basketball Committee. "Having the court elevated like that just makes for a terrific view from the upper level."

Yeah. Let me tell you, it really makes it just great when sitting in the upper deck. It almost feels like I can reach out and touch them. Wow. Two freaking feet? Are you kidding me? Two feet is supposed to make it "a terrific view?"

How about this for a terrific view... a basketball arena. How about them apples? Play basketball in a basketball arena. I understand that you won't get your precious 800,000 people in one stadium then though. Here's a novel idea... play a game at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and line the canyon walls with seats. Tons of people could watch the game then. Also, you could charge 20 bazillion dollars per seat. You're rich, bitch!

A-holes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see where you are coming from regarding playing basketball games in football stadiums. But this is what the city of Indianapolis is banking on. Even though they believe they have a pipe dream of a chance to get the Super Bowl, Lucas Oil will serve more as a place to house NCAA tournament events. And it better, since they decided to use the tax money on building that stadium and not fixing up the numerous potholes in Indy. Appreciate the love Irsay.

Boiler up

H. Jones (Boiler Grad '07)

Purdue Matt said...

LOL! Great post!

I agree, basketball is meant to be played in a basketball arena.

Purdue Matt said...

The Super Bowl is not a pipe dream. They missed getting it last time by a vote of 17-15 and many owners told Mr. Irsay that it was the best presentation they've ever seen. It's not as if Indy was an also ran that didn't get any votes.

boilerdowd said...

Mr. Jones, I think Matt's right. I would bet Indy gets the nod when it presents this year...afterall, they were competing against the most-expensive NFL venue to ever be built...we'll know more in the coming months.

boilerdowd said...

I've watched a few basketball events in the RCA dome...I guess I didn't actually WATCH much, but I was in attendance.

J Money said...

I saw the first round games one year in the dome in Indy... and it does indeed suck being so far from the action. Two feet closer, though? Awesomeness.

Also, Tim? Calm down. You're going to have a stroke.

And finally, if a lovely city like Detroit can get Super Bowls, there's no reason Indy can't.

Have fun getting around that week, though, locals.

boilerdowd said...

J, you know what I do on such weekends? Don't go downtown. You know what I do on most weekends? Don't go downtown.

My formula is simple.

J Money said...

Simple, yet brilliant. Much like yourself.

Also? Dashingly handsome.