Monday, January 26, 2009

Losing Momentum?

We discussed this over a week ago- Purdue was not on terra firma with Shayon Green, a linebacker prospect out of Georgia. Well, during the weekend, Green made it official as he switched his verbal to Miami. In other recruiting news, Jordan Barnes decided to verbal to Oklahoma State during his in-home visit by OSU's coaches. That said, his committment sounds less-than-convincing, at least to me. When asked if he committment prior to meeting Purdue's entire staff, Barnes responded

"Yeah, I did and then I talked to Purdue and they had me thinking about some things so right now I'm really not sure which way I'm going to go with this so it's been a stressful weekend,"


Maybe Gundy is using some pressure tactics or perhaps Barnes is placing the pressure on himself. Regardless, this one seems like it might not be over, just yet.

But if it is, Hope and company might put the full-court press on Quan Fletcher, who I've never seen play, but want as a Boiler just so I can say "Quan" each week in the fall.

We all know recruiting is an up-and-down business and nothing's truly done until the kid's signed...and even then, you might want to wait until they're on campus before you count on their services. As in any business, the follow-ups are key and the relationships built during the recruiting process is paramount. Only the kid and the coaching staff really know how those aspects of the process have gone...the rest of us are merely speculating.

At 18 & 19, we were all a bit fickle...but at 15, & 16 & 17, it's even worse. My hope for my alma mater's football and men's basketball teams are that guys that want to be Boilermakers end up in West Lafayette...and those that don't, decide not to waste everyone's time.

7 comments:

E said...

Barnes will obviously be an English major.....

Purdue Matt said...

Barnes gave his commitment to OSU when the OSU coaches visited his home, not when he visited Stillwater.

Purdue Matt said...

Nice links! Van Dyk, Paxson, Martin, and Minnoy suck. You should have included Roundtree too.

boilerdowd said...

Good call on Roundtree, Matt...dude is having a solid career so far in AA.

Eric, Purdue's not a liberal arts college; I'm sure Barnes is more of a math mind.

dozer8589 said...

At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, I wouldn't sweat Jordan Barnes. I live less than a mile from Homestead High School, and have seen Mr. Barnes play. I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about. In the games I saw, he was pretty much a non-factor.

Anyway, we have all seen our share of world-beaters disappear against college level talent. We have also seen no-names emerge as allstars. It seems to me that unless your recruiting in the 5-star stratosphere, the talent line between 4, 3, and 2 star players is pretty blurry.

boilerdowd said...

Not saying you're wrong, Dozer, but, talent evaluators at Oregon, Wisconsin, Louisville, Oklahoma State and Michigan all disagree with you. If he didn't have many offers, I might agree with you too...But multiple offers from multiple high-ranking programs usually means a kid is legit...he sure is on paper.

You are correct about players developing into something greater during college, but the few flops that are 4 & 5 star are noteworthy because so many of those types of players turn out to be as good as advertised. Heck, people think of Ryan Baker as a flop and he started for three and a half seasons. Talent, speed and size, while not being the only definitive parts of a football player are important.

At least our Boilers are getting speed nearly straight across the board.

Anonymous said...

Come after me! I'm a man, I'm forty! Don't get on a kid that does everything right... is respectful to his coaches, the media, and his teammates.

I'm a man!!!