Friday, March 13, 2009

Rubber Match...and other notes

I feel this way about our Boilers- they don't fear anybody...almost to a fault. With the exception of Duke this season, no team has been able to intimidate Purdue...and when Purdue plays teams that have previously beaten them, they seem to play harder, more aggressively and generally more-focused (read as except Illinois).

So, when Purdue soundly-beat PSU after losing in Happy Valley, I wasn't surprised- so how will this evening's contest go? My thought is this- Purdue, in spite of backing into the tournaments, in spite of playing with great lethargy is in a quite-enviable position. There are no expectations on our Boilers, very few teams fear Purdue, and everyone's healthy. Plus, I've always liked Matt Painter as a motivator against teams that have beaten his teams (except Illinois)...He seems to know the buttons to push to motivate his young squad into pissing them off enough that they play with a chip on their shoulder.

My brother and I have both coached some grade school and high school basketball. We always like to think about what we'd do to prepare a team in a similar situation. If I was in Matty's shoes, here's what I'd do- Tell the world how great this team is...Pull a Lou Holtz, "No one can guard Talor Battle, Pringle is the 2 in the nation, Cornley is a brutal force that is unstoppable..." etc.

But in the locker room, I might say things differently. I'd first show them the score of the game in Happy Valley saying, "If you don't respect them and play well, you're capable of losing to these guys..." But I'd follow it up by saying, "But, you're better than they are. If you guys play hard, know your roles and play team basketball, this opponent simply will not beat you. Let's remind everybody who we are."

But, I'm not the coach, I'm just a dude who cares too much about Purdue basketball and gets paid nothing to do it...I'm looking forward to watching the game on BTN tonight at 9:00, but would gladly go with someone if they want to give me tickets!!

NYC
If you were watching the 'Cuse/UConn game last night in the second half, I'm pretty sure you were like me and couldn't stop watching it. The simple fact that it was so back-and-fourth and the Orange(men) were about .05 seconds too late on an improbable last-second shot made it tough to turn away from. But, one of the most interesting parts of the game was the fact that no one in MSG seemed to be enjoying themselves except the EsPN crew. Fans, coaches and players all seemed to be in pain...Granted, the players were probably cramping up and felt lead-footed as the extra stanza repeated 6 times, but the crumudgeon Calhoun and whiny Boeheim really didn't help their players outlook with their body language. It was astounding to me how Flynn, who played 67 minutes still seemed to have spring in his step, even in the closing seconds.

I remember this one time, back when I wasn't fat and was young, I ran for 67 seconds...those were the days.

Greatest Game?
The greatest game is a completely-subjective moniker thrown around too often, but last night's contest would definitely be in the discussion of many college basketball fans. That said, part of what makes a game great is when it happens, where it happens and versus whom.

I started thinking about what some of Purdue's greatest games were. The first one that popped in my mind was in Ass Hall when Chad Austin shot a dagger into the heart of Knight's Hoosiers in OT...but one of my favorites was Purdue v. Illinois in Champaign in 1986 (I believe). Doug Lee kept Purdue alive in regulation and ended up winning the game improbably in double OT. It's memorable to me because I was in 6th grade...and in spite of the game ending so late, my Dad let me stay up and watch it with he and my older brother.

So, in your opinion, what's the greatest Purdue basketball game...or greatest basketball game you've ever seen?

6 comments:

Plang said...

G-Rob's dunk over Ostertag back in 1990-something was pretty cool, but that was one moment, not a whole game.

Boilergal said...

I remember that Illinois game as well- what a game. We had some great battles with the Illini back in those days.

The OT IU-Purdue game my freshman year the day school was cancelled for 65-below wind chill.

Also, even though the game didn't come down to a final shot, the '85 chair-throwing game was incredible entertainment.

And even though we lost, I had a great time at the IU game in the RCA dome in '02. We had seats at midcourt so right across the aisle were the IU fans. Some woman had to continually keep her husband from coming across the aisle to confront me (yes a 5'3" girl) because I kept mocking the AJ Moye cheer every time he missed a shot, got called for a foul or turned the ball over. It was great.

T-Mill said...

I know your opinion on women's basketball, but when the Ladies beat Duke for the title in 1999 simply because of the way it ended. Purdue was up 3 when Stephanie White-McCarty, their leading scorer, severely prained an ankle. Duke hit a 3 before the play was over to tie it at 45. With their leading scorer on the bench Purdue closed with a 17-0 run to win 62-45.

1. it was against Duke, helping them lose smug
2. Duke had two players who had transferred from Purdue and hadn't exactly said kind thigns about the program. they were former teammates of Ukari Figgs and White-McCarty
3. Duh, It won us a National title! That's the only time in my life I can say that.
4. We got to brun shit in the middle of Stadium Street afterward, and i was living in the Quad.

J Money said...

Best Purdue game I have to think about....

As for last night's game, I don't think it qualifies. It went six OTs largely because of misses and poor execution, rather than constant hitting of shots.

Best college bball game I've ever watched was the '92 Duke-UK regional final. 104-103, the Grant Hill touchdown pass to Laettner and his 100% shooting for the night. Whether you like him or not (and he probably should have been thrown out of that game), that was an incredible performance.

Boilergal said...

Best individual performance I have seen in person came at a University of Evansville game in the late 90's. Scott Haffner with 65 points on over 80% shooting from 3 (11 of 13). It was impressive.

Daniel Altman said...

I think the best game has to be the Duke/UK regional final. It had everything.

As far as Purdue is concerned, The Chad Austin game was special, but my favorite is probably the win at Michigan in '94. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjnAjgwwG8).

The ending run was incredible. Big Dog was unstoppable, and it started the back-to-back-to-back Big Ten titles of the mid 90's.