Sunday, April 25, 2010

Boiler Free Agents & Thoughts

A couple more Boilers will be getting their shot to make money playing football. Sure, it's an uphill battle they'll face, but I'm glad their getting a look.

-King to Indy
The Colts are pretty rich on defense right now, especially after their draft. But, they lost a few guys in the defensive backfield. That said, they also picked up two in the draft, so the front office thinks there's a need- that's good...but it'll take a pretty big effort for Brandon to find his way onto the roster.

-Elliott to Philly (Kolb, Vick & Kafka also in Phil.)
Depending on what happens with Vick, Elliott might have a shot to make this roster. The biggest shame about what we saw last year, in my opinion, was that his shoulder wasn't 100% for much of '09 following his surgery the prior season.

-Pender also to Philly
Lots of experienced, and good corners on the roster in Philadelphia...like King, this is a tough position to walk into.

-Zwilling to Tampa Bay
Zwilling's ability to play multiple positions might prove useful as the Bucs have a couple of experienced centers in front of him...but all indicators are he'll be a tackle at the next level, if he gets on a roster.

NBA Playoffs
Not much to write about here, for me at least. I've admitted it multiple times- I'm not a fan of the NBA...but I enjoy playoff basketball as it's actually worth something. Sure, the playoffs are too long- the first round series should still be 5 games (in my opinion) and I can't stand the lengthy gap between each game. It kinda kills enthusiasm from the casual fan like myself.

But, I like what's happened in the LA/OKC series. The Thunder's arena feels like a college venue, their team is really young and they play the game fast and with active feet. Plus, it's great seeing Kobe getting beaten...just doesn't happen enough, in my opinion.

That said, I'm still experiencing shakes and sweats as I withdraw into the cold, dry desert of my sports year. I'll enjoy May in Indy...at least half the month, this year...but it's not the same. Already looking forward to August.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I don't understand about this draft: how did IU get more players drafted than Purdue? IU was horrible. If they really had that many good players, why couldn't they win more games? Confusing. I guess I am just a simpleton.

boilerdowd said...

I believe Hoeppner's guys are graduating...and he attracted solid talent. But, his pal and successor just might not have been doing them justice the last few seasons.

I think it's very fair to say that with the OL, DB and DEs they had on that team, they should have had more than one conference win.

J Money said...

Baseball is a fun sport, well-known to most Americans. I'll be glad to school you on the fundamentals anytime you want.

I'll also be glad to teach your son at the same time. Throwing motion, etc.

boilerdowd said...

Gee, thanks!

zlionsfan said...

I don't think you can draw any real conclusions based on a single draft ... the perceived quality of the top few players from about 20-25% of the roster that year doesn't tell you that much about the team as a whole. After all, OSU only had 4 players drafted.

Besides, two of IU's three picks went in the seventh round, and one of those was a compensatory selection. At that point, it's pretty much like wrapping up a fantasy draft in an auction keeper league: you're just throwing darts at the wall hoping one of them will stick.

Having said that, I agree that Lynch hasn't been doing the program any favors. IU isn't exactly in a good position with respect to hiring, so maybe they couldn't do much better than a solid DII coach (Butler was playing in Division II when Lynch was there).

FWIW, the Wikipedia page on Lynch is interesting. Seems like someone's trying to make excuses, although comments on 2009 are notably absent from that page. (Also, there's no coaches pages as there are for other schools, but then there isn't one for Purdue either, so I suppose I ought to get on that. The Purdue list, that is. Anyway, I wanted to refer to the Indiana list to point out how things went wrong after Mallory was fired, but there isn't a list.)