Monday, May 10, 2010

Getting Real: Big Ten Growing

Since you left work, Jim Delany got busy...I mean he was busy looking to move his plan of expansion forward. There are a couple of different scenarios that might be playing themselves out, but the one definite is that Mizzou and Nebraska have been invited to the party.

Notre Dame, sadly, has once-again been asked to join the conference, it seems. And while it makes sense as they're right in the center of the geographical conference, they play quite a few BT schools already in football, they love money just like Jim D, and their struggle for independence might get really difficult as the dominoes start falling, I say screw 'em. At this point, they need the BT a lot more than the soon-to-be Super Conference needs them. But no matter, the die is cast...again.

The Chinese Proverb, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Is playing in my head right now...what about a third time of being fooled?

I've said this all along- I think the main parts of this equation have known for months what was coming...I think the UND portion of this plan is all based on peer pressure- I don't care if they succumb or not.

Addendum:
These reports have already been denied. I don't know if I believe that means nothing happened...it just means no one's talking (yet).
Thanks to BS reader, Michael R. for the heads up.

10 comments:

zlionsfan said...

While I'm not entirely sure I believe this particular report - I mean, it's a Missouri station saying "Hey, they're inviting us!", and they've definitely been eager ever since it was first mentioned - I think you're right in that most schools that were on the "list" probably knew about where they were, and those ADs and presidents had a pretty good idea of where they might go in the "draft", so to speak.

As for the public responses, well, they're probably even less valid than things like votes of confidence and such. What is the Nebraska guy supposed to say? "Yeah, we're bolting. Can't wait to get out of this stinking conference."

Besides, they wouldn't talk to the schools first anyway. They would talk to the conferences. I guess in this case, the Big Ten would just come up to the table and say "Mind if we dance with your dates?"

Michael R. said...

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-05-10/reports-big-ten-expansion-offers-denied

Denied...by all parties involved... which means one of two things there is invites not mentioned or...they are threatening other teams such as the cash cow...Texas.

Anonymous said...

If Our-Lady-of-Football ever gets into the Big Ten, I'll puke and die (figuratively). God, please dont let that happen.

Plang said...

So I heard late last night that 4 teams were invited: Missouri, Nebraska, UND, and Rut-gards. IF that is true, then that still makes an uneven number of teams, so they would expect one of those not to accept.

I'm guessing that we aren't going to know for sure until the end of the week.

Purdue Matt said...

As much as I detest them, I can admit that ND would add a lot of value to the conference and to the BTN with their national appeal.

boilerdowd said...

Matt you're a company man and love the Commish with all your heart...but your disdain for UND should outweigh that right now.

boilerbugle said...

Not gonna lie, I agree w Matt. Wouldn't it be fun for a purdue win over nd to mean more than getting that stick thing?

boilerdowd said...

The principle of the conference not kissing their ass, and getting bitch slapped (yet again) means nothing to you?

Huh.

zlionsfan said...

Plang, I think I read they also have another school (Pitt? Syracuse?) lined up. If ND says yes, they talk to that school to make 16. If they say no, it's just the other three to make 14.

Michael R. said...

As Big Ten fans we should love this expansion to the fullest. As a college sports fan overall I'm hating this.

Currently Big Ten Network gets 0.70 per month per cable customer for in-state B10 schools and 0.30 for non B10 states. Given this model, there will be 4 or 5 of these networks that may reduce the coverage of games or worse increase my god awful expensive Comcast bill.

NCAA has officially figured out a way to get about 4 more bucks a year off of me.