Friday, December 14, 2007

Curiosity About The Wrath of Belichick

I know we don't really write a weekly column about the upcoming NFL games but I wish we did. In fact, I've wanted to do it from the beginning, but like a lot of Web sites, we had many ideas come and go and those that stuck have stuck well and those that haven't just sort of petered out.

But I had to at least comment on this weekend, when the New England Patriots play the New York Jets -- in Foxboro, Mass. Oy.

As you've no doubt heard, Vegas gives the Jetties no chance in this one, although they still favored the Pats by more when they played the Eagles, which only goes to further show that the point spreads aren't based on who is better but by how the betting is going. The Pats seemed indestructible back then so the spread skewed even further towards them -- now, they've been tested a few times and looked mortal for a few minutes per game, so even the Jets aren't as big of an underdog as the Eagles were.

But given how the Pats have pummeled some opponents this season (56 points against the serviceable Bills and 52 against the marginal Skins and their senile coach) -- opponents, I might add, that Bill Belichick didn't have anything against -- it's interesting to think about this weekend's game against the Jets and their coach, Eric Mangini, who was the whistleblower in Week 1 about the whole camera spying thing (Note: I hate the attachment of "gate" to every damn story, so I won't say it). It seems universally agreed that the Pats are actually going to show us all what running the score up really looks like this weekend and I'd tend to agree that they'd probably hang 65 on the Jets, if only it was going to be good weather. But as luck would have it, Al Roker said this morning that on Sunday in New England, they will be experiencing "blizzard-like conditions." This might slow down the passing attack a tad. If you've got a Patriot running back in your fantasy league, start him. If it's really snowing like that, don't expect the rout everyone is talking about. In fact, if it really looks like it's going to snow that hard, and if you're a betting man, go put some money on the Jets with the two dozen points. If they lose 21-0, you'd still win. It's like a damn college point spread.

And since I'm rambling on the subject of the Patriots, as interesting as I think their run at perfection is -- especially set against the backdrop of hatred everyone seems to have for them -- I think we can all agree that we don't want them going undefeated. Yes, it would be a more impressive accomplishment than the '72 Dolphins, but if you know any Boston sports fans and, specifically, Pats fans, try to imagine them being exponentially more arrogant, obnoxious and in your face. Hard to actually fathom, right?

What would be perfect for me, actually, would be to see the Pats go to 15-0 and then lose to the Giants in the final week of the season. Revenge for the Mannings, delivered by the Manning that everyone thinks sucks yet is going to the playoffs for the third straight year.

8 comments:

T-Mill said...

I'll call it right now, the Jets will win this game.

All we've heard all week is how they are going to roll over and die, but the jets will win

J Money said...

No chance. The Jets are terrible and it's in New England. And unlike other high-rolling teams of the past, the Pats aren't looking past teams like the Jets. PLUS, Belichick wants to be a dick. PLUS, his players always seem to have his back, so they'll all be up for this.

I say if it's snowing hard:

Pats 31
Jets 3

If it's not slippery and precipitating:

Pats 63
Jets 10

Anonymous said...

It is the ghost of Al Brock.

So, J., what does this have to do with sideboobs? Nothing.

Gittle said...

Oh, come on, guys. We're not that bad. If you're basing this on the Sports Guy, I must stipulate that one online columnist who has seen better days is not representative of an entire population. He has his moments, but he's not a true fan. He refused to acknowledge BC this year because he went to Holy Cross, and he has given up on some local outfits (i.e., the Bruins; I know that you don't hold the NHL and/or ice hockey in high regard, and the current Bruins ownership group is among the worst in North America, but it's not right to give up on anyone).

Just out of curiosity, exactly how many Boston sport fans and/or Pats fans do you actually know? I think it's just bitterness and frustration over years of defeats, and last year does not make up for it.

I'll tell you that I enjoyed wearing my Brady jersey on campus when I was out there, and despite the results of last year, I still would have held my head up high.

--Eric
B.A., Purdue University, 2005
Native of Newton, Mass.; resident of Watertown, Mass.

J Money said...

Well, boilerdowd lived there for a spell and he actually likes the Sox but hates the Pats. I'm from NJ so I hate the Sox and am sort of ambivalent about the Pats (I'm a Giants fan, not a Jets fan, so I don't have to see my team smeared twice a year by the Pats). And Tim is from Cleveland, so he's as neutral an observer as there is and I don't know how he feels about the Pats.

No, no frustration here... and yes, many (though not necessarily all, I will grant you) Boston/NE area fans are quite obnoxious. Most of you guys wear it as a badge of honor, too, so I'm surprised you're providing a rebuttal.

Thanks for stopping by, though. Always good to hear from Purdue brethren.

boilerdowd said...

My man, gittle, as J said, I'm plenty educated on New England and Chowd fans. I lived in Tauton, Bridgewater, Easton & Pepperell Mass over a 2.5 year period. My college roommate, who is a regular visitor here is from Maine. The company at which I worked was in Brockton, then Westford...So I understand South Boston sports fans and North Boston fans. My boss lived in Newton...so I'm pretty familiar with the rich Boston sports fans too :)

boilerdowd said...

One more thing- I'm actually rooting for the Pats to go 16-0 and lose to the Colts in the playoffs. That'd be tasty.

Gittle said...

Okay, that works. The thing is, anywhere you go, you're going to get a Bunch of Drunken Frat Guys. Since you're from Jersey, I am certain that you know that it's worse when you guys send 18-23-year-old spoiled brat meatheads to attend the local universities. Not all of them, though; they seem to only populate BU and BC, since Harvard's full of McSnootys, although Northeastern is catching up. Thanks for marketing outside the area, Trusty Co-op School! :-D

Just so you know, I hate the Giants with a passion. My father is from an era when the Pats didn't exist, and the Giants were beamed up here since they were the closest team. For that matter, the Giants played in New Haven for a couple of years at the Yale Bowl, although it was after said era. Anyway, my father hated that a New York team was supposedly representative of New England, so he always rooted against the Jints, and the only other team that was consistently televised was the Detroit Lions, since they played on Thanksgiving. Thus, he became a Lions fan. Of course, the Lions were a bit more dynamic at that time. ;-)

The moral of the story is that he brought me up to root against the Giants and against New York in general. The Jets really weren't on my radar screen until Parcells went there. Of course, times have changed and I hate them as much as any New York team (although, again, I'm ambivalent towards the Isles and the Mets, although I love it when they fall apart, and I hate the Habs as much, if not more, than I hate the Rangers).

There's my story in a buttshell. Sorry, but I'm still thinking about that Trentonian headline about Clemens: "HE TOOK IT IN THE BUTT." :-P

--Eric