Monday, December 03, 2007

Rest In Peace Andrew T. Jackson

We rarely post non-wise-ass things here at Boiled Sports, but this morning is a sad morning for the Purdue sports community for actual reasons, rather than silly things like going to a lousy bowl game.

Andrew T. Jackson, an 18-year-old kid from Minnesota who was a freshman on the Purdue hockey team, was killed over the weekend when a team van crashed on Indiana S.R. 25. Seven other teammates were injured but have been released from the hospital.

It's always very hard to make sense of death and it's made exponentially harder when it's someone so young who was simply playing a game he really enjoyed and was just getting started on his college career. There's no way his family could have known when he left a few months ago to begin college that he wouldn't be home to celebrate Christmas with them.

Our thoughts go to the Jackson family and the Purdue hockey family.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

This story hits pretty close to home for me, because there aren't too many people from Minnesota that went to Purdue. Chanhassen, where Andrew was from, is 8 miles away from where I grew up. He went to Holy Angels high school, which was one of the two catholic High Schools I was looking at, and instead, I went to their rival High School, and like me, Andrew was probably one of the first to attend Purdue from his school.
Being from Minnesota, I am also hockey obsessed, but an outsized head makes me unable to stay upright on skates, so I never played, but my brother was a goalie through high school.
Additionally, a group I had been in had a conference in St. Louis and on the way back, I was driving a Purdue van on the icy roads and nearly lost control on Rte. 25, but fortunately for me, our results were better (They put me in the drivers seat because I was from MN and theoretically could drive in the snow).
For me, the parallels are haunting, and while I don't know Andrew or the Jacksons, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Anonymous said...

It is with great sadness that I pass on the following information.

The final arrangements have been made for Andrew Jackson's reviewal and funeral.

The time of the reviewal is 5-8 p.m. Thursday, December 6, 2007.

The reviewal will be at:

Huber Funeral Homes
16394 Glory Lane
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
952-949-4970

The funeral is set for 2:00 p.m. Friday, December 7, 2007.

The funeral will be at:

St. Hubert Catholic Community
8201 Main Street
Chanhassen, MN 55317

There has been a memorial fund established for Andrew at Wells Fargo Bank.

Contributions can be made at any Wells Fargo Bank, or mailed directly to:

Andrew T. Jackson Memorial Fund
c/o Wells Fargo Bank
P.O. Box 849
Chanhassen, MN 55317

The family is exhausted and does not wish to do any interviews. We ask that their wishes be respected.

They are very honored that so many have shown so much kindness during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

As a final note:

All contributions collected through Wells Fargo will benefit
The Purdue University Hockey Club.

Please keep all of the families in your prayers.