Sunday, March 20, 2011

Boilers Massacred in Chicago: 94-76

I didn't have a great feeling coming into this game, but still was confident that Purdue's defense was on an upswing, and would be enough to power Purdue to victory. Not only was I wrong, but I wasn't even close. In hindsight, the mirage set in front of us by our Boilers crushing St. Peter's was more an indictment of the Peacocks than a sign of good things for Purdue.

J had sizable concerns about this team's psyche after days of unrest- rumors of why Barlow was booted, Ryne Smith's injury and John Hart tweaking his ankle made my fellow BSer uneasy. Turns out, he was right and I was wrong. I really thought we'd see a focused couple of games from this veteran-laden squad. I thought they were mentally tough enough to draw together and get back to what made them great waaaaaaaay back in February. Sadly, I was wrong.

Like many of the losses this season, Purdue left no room for doubt in this one. It was close in the beginning, but began getting unraveled late in the first half as Purdue's poor shot selection led to VCU fast breaks and extremely-easy buckets. Allowing 40+ points in a half is never a good thing for a Painter-coached team. So we all knew that if the 10 point lead didn't shrink, at least by a few in the first few minutes of the second half, The Forces of Good were in grave danger.

At just before the 16:00 mark, VCU's lead was 12...and like that, the game was over for all intents and purposes. When I think back to this season, I can think of one double-digit comeback...and zero of that nature in the second half. Perhaps it's mental, perhaps its just that this team isn't an offensive juggernaut, but whatever the reason, leads that shouldn't be insurmountable quickly become so with this team. That 12 point lead quickly became 20+ as Purdue wilted, yet again and ended March how they began it- with a painful loss.

In late February, if you would have told me that the top-10 Boilers would go 1-4 versus four teams out of the top-25 in the next month, I'd have told you that you were as nutty as Charlie Sheen. We really believed that wins versus Wisconsin and Ohio State weren't the peak of the season, but a foretaste of what was coming in the tournament. We were wrong. And while February was amazingly-enjoyable, it really only makes tonight more painful.

The team that played the last four games didn't deserve the ranking that the real Purdue Boilers earned...they didn't deserve a three seed either...but they did deserve an early exit from the tournament and the public, self-induced humiliation we saw tonight.

Members of the media and lemmings on Twitter alike stated and re-stated that Purdue just wasn't fast, athletic or strong enough to hang with VCU. WHAT? While it definitely looked that way, it's tough to believe that a team with an All-American, an All-conference player and a solid supporting cast could look like a mid-major who barely got into the tournament. But this reversal of roles is precisely what happened. My favorite Gene Keady quote of all time is, "It's not who you play, but when you play them."

A white-hot, pissed off VCU team was given the gift of playing a soft-hearted, mentally-weak, unfocused and non-cohesive opponent and the result is they get to play at least another game while Purdue's players are done for the season. As I type, Notre Dame is struggling with FSU and Illinois is fighting hard against Kansas. Half of my brain says, "Damn, if this wasn't laid out perfectly for Purdue." The other half says, "This team wouldn't win the NIT right now...let alone earn its way into Houston...regardless of the road."

If you had the stomach and heart to stay with the telecast until the end of the game, you probably saw one of the most-heartbreaking images that I can remember in my life as a Purdue fan. While his teammates struggled, floundered and stumbled toward the end of the game, Rob Hummel couldn't resist the weight and pressure of what he was witnessing. He knew this season might have been different had things gone differently...he surely believed tonight would have been different had his body held together. I pray he didn't and doesn't feel guilty for something he couldn't control...but I absolutely empathize with him as that moment was just too much to bear.
Crushed.

Purdue's defense, no, its entire system, is based on playing smart, playing with grit and playing with heart. Our Boilers have played flat-out dumb the last few weeks as quick, bad shots and poor passes have reigned supreme. The grit that has helped define Purdue teams for more than a generation has gone missing. And most-shocking and most painful, the heart that they've exhibited over the last few seasons simply didn't even murmur this month. And because of the confluence of these factors, this season is now over.

18 comments:

Ben C said...

The thing that gets me is the way JJ and E'Twaun seemed to disappear in the last few weeks. They seemed entirely uninterested in anything beyond Senior Night.

boilerdowd said...

Hate to say it, but I agree.

Anonymous said...

I kept thinking that JJ and E'Twaun would eventually wake up. But, that wasnt the problem. 94 points?!? When was the last time Purdue gave up 94?

I never wanted to admit that Rob was the heart and soul of this group because that would mean JJ and E'twaun couldn't do it without him. But what other conclusion can we as Purdue fans and alumni take from this season?

Is it possible that Purdue will be better next year or will this linger? It may be a hard seven months before we have a clue.

boilerdowd said...

By the end of next season...I think so.

Brad said...

I'm hesitant to say this but I think their was/is something going on with this team. First off, I think that there was more to the Barlow suspension than we know. Obvious statement indeed, but I mean on an entirely different level. Almost as if he was a scapegoat to something bigger. The whole team just seemed to be in dissention the last 4 games. At times they were really were looking like they didn't give a fuck. While in attendance at the last two games at the United Center I noticed something strange on the bench. The mood was just very odd. No one seemed to be joking around per usual, players seemed to stop listening to Painter AND as JJ and Smooge walked off the court to applause towards the end of Friday nights game Robbie walked towards the front of the bench to congratulate them and they both blew him off and sat down. I didn't think that much of it at the time but tonight after the game ended and Hummel was walking off in tears, JJ and Smooge just walked towards the exit with those blank stares looking like they could care less that their college careers had just ended while Hummel cried the whole way back with NO ONE consoling him. In fact the only Purdue player who also seemed to be crushed was Lewjack. I don't know guys. It's late, I'm upset and tired of this all too familiar scene in Purdue sports so I could be offbase here....but something seems very strange about how this season ended....

Unknown said...

Brad, I could not agree with you more. I wasn't in attendance, and obviously did not know as much as you did, but it really seemed like Rob was the one that cared the most. Ryne and LewJack would be behind at 2nd, but after that, I really saw nobody with any heart tonight. I agree and get the feeling that there was something more to Kelsey than we know, but I'm not sure that will ever come out. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that this is just the start of a quick and bad downward spiral, leaving us with football (oh God) to look forward to.

Andrew said...

Well said about Rob.

However a person like Rob is always going to put the blame on himself. It is why he is beloved by Boilermaker nation, and is why watching him on the sideline, especially tonight has been so heartbreaking. A lot of star players would be bitter if the team they were meant to lead to the promise land did it without them. As the bracket started to look better and better for us, I wondered how Rob would feel if this team made a deep run without him. Those images answered that. He wanted success for this team as much as anyone. Because of that, I hope everyone returning next year works harder than they ever have to give Rob another team that can make a run. He deserves his shot more than anyone who has played college basketball.

The OX said...

So sad to see JJ and Smooge go out this way. After senior night, this team just fell flat emotionally. They just looked like they were going through the motions. It's a shame, because in 2007, I thought this team would have had at least two final 4 runs in them. Just buzzard's luck (or boilers luck) what happened with the Martin transfer and Robbie's knee.

Instead of overachieving all season, I'd settle for mediocrity with a deep tournament run just once! :P

And yes, Boilerdowd, I blame Danny Hope for all of this! :P

Next season starts right now. Matty and the boys will be hard at work tomorrow.

Louisville Boiler said...

This is the first time I've ever had doubts about Coach Painter, but how can he lose his team in late February and let it carry over into the tournament?! I agree with you guys that there is something else going on, but there is ALWAYS something going on!!! That falls back on the coach. I know he can't magically heal Rob's knee but his team had no focus, was not prepared, and could absolutely not adjust to one simple thing that murdered us all night long. I agree that JJ and E'Twaun looked like they didn't have anything to play for. That's the coach's job. They are definitely not listening to their coach and I would love to know why. If he can't take a team with a first team All American and a 2,000 point scorer and a solid supporting cast to the promised land, can we expect it to ever get done? In the words of Jack Nicholson, "What if this is as good as it gets?" We seriously need to figure out a way to turn around 80 years of bad luck. I will be a Boilermaker til the day I die and I really do like Painter but the way this season unraveled has given ms SERIOUS doubts about him.

Shawn said...

I'm with Brad on this one. Beyond the bench moments which those of us watching on TV didn't get to see, JJ looked complacent. He was letting passes go right past him without even flinching in the lane, allowing guys to go up for jumpers without putting a hand up in their face or turning around to go hard after the rebound, and on more than a few missed shots on offense, VCU went into fast break mode and JJ just stood their waiting for the ball to come back to his end. Sure he got his offensive numbers, but when you give up 90+ points, you'll have plenty of chances. He completely gave up trying to establish himself down low because it was too much work. I haven't seen him play with so little interest since his sophomore year.

After that performance, I can't think of anyone more ready for the NBA.

COD said...

Back in the dark days before the 2004 World Series, it was common for Red Sox fans to question whether they really should pass that legacy down to their children. Was it really fair to burden our children with 80 years of pain and disappointment?

I feel that way about Purdue right now.

Eric said...

I agree with Louisville Boiler in that there has always been something going on, particularly after Senior Night. It's like we have become the new Illinois - great Senior talent but can't put it together?

Boiler_Ditsor said...

Was starting to feel better this morning until I tuned in here and saw that damn picture of Hummel. Oh what could have been these last couple years. My heart goes out to this kid.

As for JJ and ET, hopefully their 4 years at Purdue have done more for this program than the naked eye can see. Although, I do remember thinking to myself after their freshman year that if they leave Purdue without a final four, that is a shame.

I wish we could look forward to football. Maybe with low ecpectations we will be surprised. Although, I can't wait for basketball season, again!

Orracle said...

Best damn seats for a sporting event I've ever had and had to watch that train wreck.

Telling moment for me was when TJ yelled back at the bench for something they said. WTF? How do you get away with that?

Bench didn't look into it. JJ didn't look into it. Smith did, and then he never touched the ball again. Kept trying to prove we could win by going through the Big 2. Not tonight.

Refused to sell my ticket stub to Domer fans, just because they were Domer fans. Guys were stunned. At least they're gone too...

dozer8589 said...

Interesting insight from the guys that were there...

I can't stop thinking about something my wife said when I was telling her about the treatment of Hummel last night. She wondered if Hummel was the "whistle blower" in the whole Barlow thing. That would explain the fractures in team chemistry. It also explains the behavior of each and every party involved.

Here are my year end observations as I head into the great summer void of baseball, tennis and auto racing:

1) As far as professional ball for JJ and Moore goes, I have four words for you: Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

2) I'm foggy on the NCAA rules, so I have to ask, is Painter allowed contact with the team in the off season? If so, it's time for the COY to start rebuilding team chemistry before the new class arrives.

3) The Football team had better be good. I'm getting tired of having the rug pulled out from under me.

Until August, hang in there - and BTFU.

Louisville Boiler said...

Orracle, just wondering what you're referring to with the TJ situation. I didn't see that happen.

Boilergal said...

The big 2 played uninspired basketball. JJ was horrible, I don't care what stats he put up- he was horrible and didn't play a bit of defense. The Big Ten DPOY that didn't attempt to stop or alter drive after drive after drive. I say that he was good for -25 points, since he chose to allow about 25 layups. He had to take 20 shots to get his 25 points, where Ryne Smith was 7 for 9 for his 20. Why can we never keep feeding the hot hand? It took us 11 minutes into the 2nd half to get Ryne his next shot. He hits 2 straight and then the big 2 felt it was their turn again. I love those guys, but sending them out on this type of effort is beyond disappointing. It is very disheartening as a fan to care more about the game than the players do. Such is life as a Purdue fan.

Alec said...

I'm no basketball expert, but the way I look at it is a failure of defense. They would have had to score 95 points to win last night. This was the first game all year that they scored 70+ and didn't win (I think). What I saw was a ton of dribble penetration to the top of the key opening up people down low, for high percentage layups (helping to explain their ~56% shooting percentage. Lack of coaching adjustments, personal defensive intensity on everyone's part, I have no idea why that happened. But for a team that prides itself on defense, it's amazing they had such a lapse at a critical time. So what that Smooge only had 10 points, or that Byrd and JJ shot too many 3's. That wasn't the issue. It was a total collapse on defense.