Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Isn't this all getting old?

I've been a Purdue fan since I can remember...and the last three years have been absurd, plain and simple. In the two sports I follow most-closely, basketball & football, attrition has become the norm. This morning, the New Hampshire press reported that Chris Lutz was heading back East at the end of the semester...this evening, Jon Uchendu announced his intentions of going back to his home in the South next year. Are either of these guys all-stars? Not yet. But, on a team that will desperately need veteran leadership next season, even fewer leaders will be on the roster come December. Maybe Coach Painter has a goal to have no one from outside of the state of Indiana on the team from here on out...Uh oh, that means our Boilers will have enough to field a starting five, with two subs.

I'm not as bothered by the loss of Uchendu as he had a disciplinary problem last season and contributed little more than sweat, but the loss of Lutz, in my opinion, is large. The sum of the two parts is even bigger. Plus, it makes the rebuilding project all-the-more difficult. I don't know if someone yelled "Fire!" up at my alma mater's athletic department buildings in the past week, but I'd be willing to bet this exodus will continue with more than one football player in the next 2 months, and maybe even Marcus Green heading out of town (I have no reason to believe this other than a gut feeling). Sadly, no one who follows my Boilers will be surprised; disappointed? Sure. Surprised? Nope.

7 comments:

COD said...

With the freshmen coming in next year Lutz was probably never going to be a 35 minute a game player. I wonder if he realized that too?

Anonymous said...

Purdue basketball has some real studs coming in next year... 2 players are white 2 players are black see if you can guess who is who.... E'Twaun Moore, Scott Martin, Robbie Hummel and JaJuan Johnson...

boilerdowd said...

Very enlightened, "Chris".

Gage said...

Man, I always liked Lutz too. I guess this means the freshmen will have to play right away. Who will Painter fill those two holes on the bench with? Walk ons?

Anonymous said...

what are you saying ryan... that you dont recognize me since I am lighter than you now?

Anonymous said...

Must be the weather there or something...

Lutz is a fool for leaving.

Anonymous said...

I think we're in good shape now that this Greg Hill kid is coming. We were guard heavy anyway. A big man during this April signing period would be HUGE, though. If Painter can do that, it's a net gain losing Uchendu and Lutz (though I, like you, hate to see Lutz go b/c he was a good kid).